Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Desire is Prayer

A quote from Mary Baker Eddy I have long found moving:

"Desire is prayer; and no loss can occur from trusting God with your desires, that they may be moulded and exalted before they take form in words and deeds."

I'm reading a rather dense book right now, and enjoying every minute of it. (Got to get to some fiction SOMETIME!)

This is a theological history book which is reminding me of ancient and modern struggles with the reality of desire in our human condition. Is it bad? scary? dangerous? Repugnant? Divine gift? All of the above?

I think Mary Baker Eddy's contribution is moving and profound. If my desire is, itself, a prayer than of course it's GOOD -- and not to be squelched, but entrusted to a trustworthy God (in formal prayer).

And, yet... there is ever the shaping and lifting of my desires on the way to their taking of form. This is a beautiful compromise. Of course, we're not always the wisest about what would be good for us and those around us. And, we need not be shamed or shame others for being "works in progress"!

With that, I think I'll go and have a good day. And I hope you have one too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home