Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Change is Coming: LGBT Welcoming Church Report

I am often invited to speak about my experiences as a lesbian Christian, a minister (and a BAPTIST to top it all off). Sometimes I share about the coming out journey, about reconciling the "Bible" and my journey, or the spiritual journey in general. As an ordained minister and spiritual life coach, I support people of all walks of life who are shifting their core energy (Spirit) from fear and victimhood to a confident, open-hearted, risk-taking spirituality. For me, that's the essence of Jesus' gospel. It's what I hold on to as a self-proclaimed (liberal) evangelical.

I've noticed that in recent years the phrase "I'm a child of the welcoming church" is often on my lips. By that, I've come to mean that I am profoundly aware and deeply grateful that I found a welcoming church at the beginning of my adult journey. At the age of 21, my partner and I discovered Grace Baptist Church while we were seniors at Taylor University. From 1990-2007 I was a member, and later pastor, at Grace. My Master of Divinity is from an extremely LGBT+ seminary, Chicago Theological Seminary. Certainly, some coming out experiences have been challenging. Being surrounded by love, respect, encouragement and openness my entire adult life has taught me a great deal about living well with God, self and others.

Some might say I was privileged to experience such resources. I'll simply say I am grateful and do not take it for granted. And, that I know firsthand that experiencing such a community was a matter of life and death in 1990. Growing and serving in grace created, well, what the hymn calls "how firm a foundation" for my adult journey of transformation, risk and vulnerability. It continues as I'm nourished at Lake Street Church in Evanston.

My life and ministry arise still from the deep well of gratitude and devotion for finding grace at Grace. My years there instilled a deep calling to support those seeking God "outside-the-box." Through coaching, I empower those who truly want to live out their faith, even as it is challenged and changing. (I believe that's what it means to have a LIVING faith!) Many clients are looking for short-term coaching on coming out issues, faith transitions, forgiveness, stress management or other wellness issues. They want to connect their core values with the choices they make in a complicated, demanding world. (Sometimes that means reevaluating old beliefs, habits or relationships and letting them go. My own journey has taught me how important it is to face today and tomorrow without the need to judge ourselves or others for past limitations.) Attendees of local and teleclass events seek study and community as they explore "living well" AND the Living Well that nourishes their hope.

This "child of the welcoming church" -- so grateful and humbled by its gifts -- seeks new ways to pay it (Good News) forward! The post below from the Galip Foundation will link those interested to their latest directory of welcoming churches and ministries across the globe. Pass on the word... Change is coming!

************************************************************************************
2008 Welcoming Church Report (from Galip Foundation):

It is my pleasure to announce that the 2008 Welcoming Christian Church Survey Report is out! Comparing the numbers to the previous year it is clear that churches continue to open their doors to the GLBT community at a rapid clip. Like the gay community itself, this movement crosses virtually all denominational and geographically based lines. At the close of 2008 the directory contained 5,301 Christian churches from thirty different countries, representing sixty five different denominations. The United Church of Christ leads the way with over 865 churches followed by the Episcopalian churches, Lutheran and Presbyterian churches respectively. To find out more including details as to where this growth is taking place by denomination and geographical location, along with a brief analysis as to where this movement may be headed next the report is a must read. The 2008 Welcoming Christian Church Survey Report along with the other yearly reports can be found in the section of the www.gaychurch.org titled “Welcoming Church Report”.
************************************************************************************

And, finally, a disclaimer. I like the diligent work Galip does in connecting ministries, but personally find their language (ex. gay and lesbian) limiting and exclusive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home